May is Resident Physician Wellness Month (RWM)! RWM encourages resident physician wellness and recognizes resident physicians for the work they do. Here is how you can get involved:
Throughout May, PARA will be offering grocery store gift cards (Safeway, Superstore, etc.) to help you purchase snacks for your team, lounge or call room. Funding will be based on program size. Resident physicians can request up to $25 for purchasing snacks individually or choose to pool their funding (up to $250) to provide snacks for larger programs or communal lounges such as the University of Alberta Hospital (UAH) or the Foothills Medical Centre (FMC).
If multiple resident physicians request funding for the same lounge or program it will be reviewed based on the following:
- Programs with five or fewer resident physicians can request up to $25
- Programs with between 6 and 19 resident physicians can request up to $50
- Programs with between 20 and 29 resident physicians can request up to $100
- Programs with between 30 and 50 resident physicians can request up to $150
- Programs with more than 100 resident physicians can request up to $250
Here is how to participate.
- Send an email to Emma Frieser by May 15th with your program details including
- your name
- the name of your program
- the number and names of participants in your group
- cc the resident physicians you are coordinating snacks with
- $25 will be allocated for each individual in the request
- A gift card will be organized and mailed out to the requesting resident physicians
- Enjoy snacks
Requests must be submitted to Emma Frieser by May 15th
What if I’m working in a clinic and my colleagues aren’t resident physicians?
No problem, supporting your colleagues promotes workplace wellness for everyone and we have funding set aside for resident physicians that aren’t working in a hospital facility.
I am on a research block or working from home, can I participate?
You bet. We’re trying to keep the snacks at around $5.00 per resident. If you would like to send a $5 gift card to a single colleague, we’ll reimburse that. If you want to send five $5 gift cards to five different colleagues, we’ll reimburse $25.
I’m in a larger program, can one person request the funding for multiple residents in a progra
Yes, we recommend pooling resources. Resident physicians can request up to $25 for purchasing snacks individually or choose to pool their funding (up to $250) to provide snacks for larger programs. If you are placing a request on behalf of your total program, your request should include name of program, and how many are in the program. We will track requests by program and let you know when it has reached its maximum:
- Programs with five or fewer resident physicians can request up to $25.00 ·
- Programs with between 6 and 19 resident physicians can request up to $50.00 ·
- Programs with between 20 and 29 resident physicians can request up to $100.00 ·
- Programs with between 30 and 50 resident physicians can request up to $150.00 ·
- Programs with more than 100 resident physicians can request up to $250.00
Why do I need to email you before I buy the snacks?
We are tracking which programs have requested funding to help streamline the process and ensure all programs have a chance to participate. If multiple resident physician want to make a purchase for a lounge, we can connect them to facilitate a single gift card as opposed to multiple smaller ones.
PARA is bringing back our movement contest and this year we’re including active transportation as well as teams of up to four resident physicians. The challenge will run over three weeks starting May 9 and ending May 29. Also new this year is the free Strava app to track your movements and progress.
Here is how to participate
- Organize a team of resident physicians. Teams can be up to four resident physicians.
- Send an email to Emma Frieser and cc your team members (before 12:00 PM on Friday, May 6, 2022) that includes:
- your team’s name
- the names of team members
- cc’ the email to your team members
- Log into Strava and create a profile for each team mate
- Once you have a Strava profile and have sent Emma Frieser your team details, follow PARA on Strava.
- Once PARA follows you back, you will be sent an invite on the app for the contest. Accept the invite and come May 9th, start moving
- Each Monday, teams will receive an email with the weekly rankings
Make sure you submit and register your team as soon as possible. We only have 40 spots and the deadline is 12:00 PM, Friday, May 6. for There are some great team and individual prizes up for grabs.
Note: teams will be eligible for one weekly prize and one of the two final awards.
- Each week the team with the greatest amount of movement will receive a $25 gift card for each member (gift card to be determined).
- Best team effort overall - $100 VISA gift card for each team member
- Most improved team - $100 VISA gift card for each team member
- Best individual overall - $100 VISA gift card for individual
- Most improved individual - $100 VISA gift card for individual
How will my activity be tracked?
This year we will be using the app Strava. Create a profile (or log in if you already have one), link up your phone or smart watch or manually submit activity into the app.
What counts as active mobility?
Transportation that is solely powered by you is considered active mobility. Examples include, biking, walking and rollerblading. Transportation that is powered by other sources, like e-bikes, e-scooters and cars, is not considered active mobility and does not count towards your movement tally.
Can my team win all the prizes?
No. Each team is eligible to win one weekly prize and one of the two top prizes.
How is movement improvement calculated?
We’ll compare each team’s week one submission to their week three submissions.
What happens if I have less than four people in my team?
Each team’s movement will be averaged out – this will allow us to fairly compare movement from a team of four to a team of two.
Let’s be honest, we all have ups and downs at work and sometimes, leaving it at the office can be difficult. Finding ways to destress and enjoy life is an important wellness skill. We want to know how you unwind or decompress after a long workday. Maybe it’s a quick yoga session, taking a walk in nature, cuddling with a pet or grabbing a chai on the way home.
Show us what helps you shift your headspace from work to home. Whatever puts you in a happy place, we would love to see it. Please submit your photograph or short video to Adrienne Hill by May 31, to be entered in the draw for one of six $100 VISA gift cards.